Thursday, October 4, 2012

Alpine Bike Jump


Alpine Bike Jump
History
In the city of Alpine Utah at the base of Lone Peak there is a huge dirt ramp that leads to a pond.  A few years back some kids that lived in Alpine decided to build the dirt ramp and started taking bikes up to this remote location . There is a hill right next to the pond that provides the perfect amount of speed to hit the jump.  This location/past-time is known as the Alpine Bike Jump.  Since the jump was created, it has been featured in dozens of YouTube videos and is a popular attraction in Alpine, Utah

Here is a video of the jump courtesy of Devinsupertramp



Personal Experience
I have been up to the Alpine bike jump a few times since I have been a student at BYU.  The first time, I went with the guys that had originally built the jump when they are in high school.  They told me all about the many bikes that had been lost in the pond and that they started putting noodles and other inflatable devices around the frame so the bike would float.  They also started taking the chain and brakes off of the bike after an unfortunate accident with someone losing their small toe.  The first time I went up the hill to try the jump I was extremely scared.  Since there weren't any brakes, I knew that once I committed to going down the hill, I had to give it 100%.  I finally mustered up enough courage and went for it.  It was very exciting as I flew 30-40 ft through the air.  From then on, I was hooked and went as many times that day trying different tricks.  I would recommend this to anybody in Utah that is looking for some adrenaline and excitement.

A little trip for sushi after the bike jump?  Of course!!
http://allthingsutah2012.blogspot.com/2012/09/demae-japanese-restaurant.html


2 comments:

  1. I grew up in Highland/Alpine area and this bike jump was one of our favorite hangout spots my freshman year! Every time we would make the hike upto sliding rock we would jump off a few times. I have some video of me launching off the same ramp back in 1999. Awesome! Brought back memories of the good old days:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I go to the pond jump several times in the summer for the past 3 years. I went yesterday and a lady said I couldn't get in. There is security and they said they are tearing down the jump to be gone forever! They ruined my life. I wish there was something we could do to save the pond jump.....

    ReplyDelete